Open from may 1st to september 30th
La Croix de la Voulte is a very old rendez-vous of the Royal Hunt built from the XVth to the end of the XVIIth century. The Hunt of the Kings of France would meet there before turning back; “faire voulte” means “turn back” in old French. The property comprises several dwellings in white Loire tufa stone, situated around a large, shady, flowery courtyard. Rooms with period furnishings and modern comfort.
Accommodation and rates
Our rooms in the castle
- 4 double rooms
- 1 twin-bedded room with private bath or shower and WC.
- The enormous fireplaces in the "Anjou" and "Touraine" bedrooms date from the XVth century.
CateringVery good approved restaurants nearby.
Leisure on site
- karge garden of 3 hectares
- swimming pool
- Saumur: the Château, the National Horse-riding School, visits to wine cellars
- The Royal Abbey in Fontevraud
- numerous inhabited châteaux on the Routes du Roi René (it seems he stayed in La Croix de la Voulte)
- the underground world of the cave-dwellers
- Animaux : Pets not allowed.
- Seasonal opening
- Swimming pool
- From Saumur: from the railway station, take the D229 for 4 kms (2.5 miles) in the direction of Angers. La Croix de la Voulte is signposted just between the village of St-Lambert des Levées and the Château de Boumois.
- Michelin maps N° 67, fold N° 8, and N° 64, fold N° 12.